More than just a walk in the park
A visit to Marwell Zoo is a chance to get close to the wonders of the natural world – and play a big part in helping to save them. From ring-tailed coatis to giraffes, meerkats and tigers, laughing kookaburra to frilled lizards – our 140-acre park is home to over 180 exotic and endangered species, in beautiful, landscaped surroundings. Just by visiting Marwell Zoo, you’ll be making a big contribution to our projects to conserve species and habitats, both here in Hampshire and around the world. Our work is a lot more widespread and influential than you might realise.
Eat, Drink, Play, Laugh
Marwell Zoo is about being as active or as relaxed as you want. There are three play areas where children can run wild while you take a well-earned break. Enjoy spectacular views of our African Valley, while you eat and drink at Café Graze, or its attached picnic area. There’s also a free road train to help you get around. Best of all, you can combine an unforgettable day out with a chance to learn all about the natural world and the challenges it faces.
What’s on in 2016:
Easter – 25 March – 10 April:
Wild Egg Hunt – 25 – 28 March
Visit over the Easter Bank holiday weekend for our egg-citing Wild Egg Hunt, meet the Easter Bunny in his burrow and hand in your completed trail to enjoy a FREE chocolate egg!
Our Big Bird Bonanza continues throughout the holiday, creating egg-tastic fun for all the family. Enjoy our penguin talk, meet the biggest to the smallest of our birds and discover which bird lays the biggest egg! Find out more about the world of birds through our Discovery Tables and make a bird feeder as a special treat for the wild birds in your garden.
- Learn all about Ralph, Eva and the rest of the Humboldt colony in our fascinating new penguin talk
- Help local wildlife on your patch by making easy hanging bird feeders (selected dates)
- Aviary and penguin discovery tables (subject to availability)
- See inside the world’s biggest nest with our hamerkop cam at the walkthrough aviary
- Easter face painting
You’d be hopping mad to miss it!
Summer Half Term – 28 May – 5 June
Join us this summer half term for all things tiger striped! Meet and find out more about our Amur tigers and learn how they spend their days, what their favourite foods are and how tigers survive in the wild. Meet our friendly staff and take part in our tiger themed trail.
- Listen to our tiger talk and find out all about our Amur tigers, Milla and Bagai.
- Pick up your purrrrfect FREE sticker from the info hut
- Look totally roarsome with our fantastic face painting
- Meet Taj the Tiger – our friendly costume character (at intervals)
Sunset Party in the Park – Saturday 2 July
Party in the park after hours and prepare yourself for a wild night to remember! Watch the animals at sunset, meet our larger than life costume characters, be amazed by the fantastic fire performers and enjoy a host of live street performances, all this and more!!
Book early to avoid disappointment!
Marwell’s Zany Zebras – Summer 2016
As Marwell’s Zany Zebras stampedes into Southampton this summer, the zoo is going zebra crazy with fun activities for everyone to enjoy!
Follow our miniature Marwell’s Zany Zebras trail around the zoo, and discover the match for your favourite zebra sculpture in the Southampton trail. Find out fun facts about the Grevy’s zebra, and finally figure out if they are white with black stripes or black with white stripes! Learn how you can support our community based conservation programmes in Northern Kenya around Grevy’s zebras whilst taking part in a host of zany activities…
- Explore the zoo and find all the Marwell’s Zany Zebra miniatures with a new, fun interactive trail
- Collect cool zebra facts at each mini sculpture
- Zany zebra face painting
- Get crafty designing your own miniature zany zebra (Selected Dates)
Halloween – 22 – 30 October
Boo at the zoo
Bring your little monsters to Marwell Zoo this half term for a spooktacular time! Take part in our pumpkin carving competition for a chance to win a terrific tiger adoption – but keep your eyes peeled for Dracula skulking around the park! Come and join our spooky sisters for some creepy storytelling in their enchanted cave, take part in our pumpkin trail and learn how to fly at our broom flying lessons.
– Take part in our pumpkin carving competition – send your spooky pictures in via facebook and the best pumpkins will win a prize!
– Dress up in your scariest costume and get a free Halloween cookie from Cafe Graze
– Freaky face painting
– Watch our animals enjoy their pumpkin Halloween enrichment
– Take part in our pumpkin trail around the zoo
– Take a ride around the zoo on our skeleton train and meet some of creepy characters
– New for Halloween! Enjoy our devilish daily talks and learn something new about our animals
– Take #ScarecrowSelfies at the picnic hut and enter our competition to win great prizes
Christmas at Marwell Various Dates 19 Nov – 24 Dec
Make your family’s Christmas magical this winter and join in the festivities at Marwell Zoo as we celebrate with a few special friends. It’s one of the top 15 places to see Santa in the UK according to netmums.com!
Book early to avoid disappointment. Tickets go on sale in August.